Wednesday, April 8, 2009

blech, i'm sick

Yes, so I've finally contracted some sort of cold and it's really not a whole lot of fun. I don't have any kleenex either, so I'm using paper towels and my nose is quite raw now. It's not a great feeling to have to lay a paper towel by my face before going to bed so my nose doesn't soak my pillow, but not being able to breathe through my nose at the same time. You'd think if something is coming out of your nose, air would flow right along with it, but no. It's always like that though -- runny nose with nasal congestion and a sore throat... so, when I'm forced to breathe through my mouth, I start coughing. Otherwise, I try to forcibly blow air through my congested nasal passages causing turbulent whistling noises and sometimes more nose goop. However, I think we've all had this experience before and it just reminds me that I'm still a part of this human condition too.

It all started yesterday and that's when I decided to drink a whole liter of orange juice and eat everything that looked like a fruit in my fridge. Ate a bunch of ice cream and drank a bit of tea but I'm still not better yet and I might have to call in sick for my Swedish class and my band rehearsal tonight. I usually just tough it out and go anyway, but I'm beginning to learn that it's okay to be sick... Like the other day when a professor that was supposed to give a lecture for our Scandinavian Studies class was sick and didn't show up. Nobody told us that class was cancelled either. No e-mail, SMS, phone call... nothing.

Okay, I'm over it now. I just think that this course has had a lot of little disappointments that have been adding up -- some people might even be tallying. I try to look on the bright side though. There is a lot that I have learned, even if not in the content being presented.

Yeah, and being sick... I guess that means there's more time for me to work on all of the little projects I've started and well, sleep too... when I'm able to. I even had enough time and worked up enough guts and pain in my hand to decide to try to fix the action on my guitar. (Action is the space between the strings and the fretboard. My action is too high and has caused a chronic pain in my left palm.) I've always been quite afraid to do this because everyone online suggests that the guitar should be taken in so a professional can fix it. Well, I think I level'd up yesterday in terms of guitar knowledge since I managed to keep my bridge in tact. Here's a few pictures:




























One thing you may have noticed from these pictures is that the body of my guitar looks like an acoustic, but the head is definitely electric guitar-like. That is because I have an acoustic-electric guitar. Oh and those things on the ground are snotty tissues and ice cream wrappers.

Here's one more random picture for you, before I go and try to get more sleep.

No comments: