Thursday, March 12, 2009

Mistakes

I thought I would just write a little about some of the mistakes I've made here in Sweden so I can remember to never make the same mistakes again. Plus, all of you that are reading can painlessly learn not to make the same mistakes I did. :)

I:
  • tried to turn my refrigerator on without plugging it in.
  • used my bare hands to mix spicy chili pepper flakes.
  • used "hade att" to try to say I "had to do something," when this phrase doesn't exist in Swedish. (var tvungen, or using behöver or måste is better, i think.)
  • bought Comviq Kompis for my phone instead of Comviq Amigos and had to pay $1 per minute for international phone calls. (curse the company that names two completely different phone plans using the same word just translated into different languages!)
  • heard people at Vasakyrkan saying "Kristus, förbarma dig över oss" and thought they were saying "Kristus, förbannade över oss"
  • For at least one month, I thought that the tram stop: Getebergsäng was Geteberg + säng meaning "Geteberg bed" instead of Getebergs + äng meaning "Geteberg's meadow." (I still have no idea what Geteberg means though. Goat mountain? Göta province's mountain...)
(I plan on periodically updating this post along with other posts that are labelled "periodically updated.")

No comments: