Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Italy, in short.

Since it would take too long for me to describe each place I visited point for point, I will just give a general overview of how things were in each city I visited. Then if you want to hear more stories, you'll have to ask me personally. ;)

Rome
Rome is the most beautiful city I have ever seen. With all of its historical monuments and buildings, there is just nothing that can compare. It's a shame I had to experience this city by myself for the most part. That's why I'm taking my family to see it when they come to visit me next month.

I ran into a lot of problems while I was there though... mostly because it was my first stop and I was really caught off-guard by a few things. My bank card stopped working on my second day and at one point I was left with only 4 Euro in my pocket -- that's like $5.50. Plus, my cell phone wasn't able to make outgoing calls so I was in trouble there too. And I was sick. That was not fun, but it seemed as if God placed the right people into my life at exactly the right times in order to help me through. Namely Jacqui, Elin, and Mabri.

I just want to take this time to thank Jacqui for letting me use her phone so I could re-activate my bank card, and for buying me lunch and gelato. I would also like to thank Elin for baking me the wonderful garlic bread rolls that really came in handy when I got hungry. Furthermore, I want to thank Mabri for letting me borrow 40 Euros in case my bank card was completely screwed. I hate borrowing money but I did borrow it, but didn't use it, mind you.

Good things to see while you're there: Musei Vaticani, Basilica S. Pietro, Castel Sant' Angelo, Campo di Fiori, Piazza del Popolo, Pincio, Trinita dei Monti, Fontana di Trevi, Pantheon, Colosseo, Palatino, Arco di Tito.

Some pictures from Rome:





































































Florence

Florence was beautiful as well. It's much smaller than Rome and it feels more like a culture capital than anything else. There are some very important museums there, like Uffizi where you can see some Da Vinci paintings.

Good things to see while you're there: Uffizi, Ponte Vecchio.

Some pictures from Florence:








































































Pisa

Pisa was even smaller than Florence and there wasn't too much to see there. It's very touristy especially because of the Leaning tower of Pisa and besides that tower and the surrounding buildings, restaurants, cafes, and pubs, and maybe the fruit market, there isn't much for the average traveler. It's really mostly a college town. There's a couple spooky buildings there though that have something to do with Dante.

Good things to see while you're there: Leaning tower of Pisa,

Some Pictures from Pisa:













































Milan

Milan is supposed to be the a city of glitz and glam and maybe it is if you're some sort of Hollywood type looking to buy some Prada or Dolci and Gabbana. But for the average traveler, it seemed more just like an industrial looking city under construction, full of dirt and graffiti. Things are quite expensive in here and I'm not just talking about things that are supposed to be expensive. There are a few nice places, like the castle.. Castello Sforzesco, but watch out for people that are trying to give you stuff "for free." Especially flowers and bracelets! They are most prevalent at the tourist hot-spots like Castello Sforzesco and Duomo.

Good things to see while you're there: Castello Sforzesco, Duomo, Cenacolo Vinciano, Giardini Pubblici (near P.ta Venezia).

Some pictures from Milan:




































































Venice

Venice is a very beautiful city, unlike other cities. Why? Because it was originally a lagoon society... Transportation is mostly by waterway, so you'll see police boats and taxi boats along with your normal ferry/mass transit boats... oh, and the gondolas.

Good things to see while you're there: Rialto, Campo di S. Giacomo Dell 'Orio, San Marco, S. Maria d. Salute.

Some pictures from Venice:


















































































Aviano

This is where the American air force base is in Italy, so you'll find a lot of military Americans there. I went there to visit my friend Alex, and it was actually rather nice. The city has some nice mountains in the background, which was a change from the other areas I had been in. If you're not visiting someone, it's really not worth going out of your way to see though. It's very small.

Good things to see while you're there: the Air Force Base?

Some pictures from Aviano:

Sorry, didn't take any pictures.

No comments: