Sunday, May 3, 2009

Stockholm etc.

Hello there, it's me again... playing catch up again. Yes, I'm headed on a 10-day trip to Italy tomorrow and I haven't even yet posted about the trip I took last weekend to Stockholm and Uppsala!!

I had a good excuse though. I've been working really hard on a 2500-word term paper, which I have now finished! It's really not my best work, but it really was a lot of work and it's finished, which is a miracle because it's due tomorrow morning and it's hard for me to ever decide something is done because it can always be improved!

I didn't think I'd have it finished until like Monday morning at 4am (paper being due at 10 am), but this really miraculous thing happened to me. It was strange. I was out having a nice time at fika (coffee break) with some friends at a cafe at Kungsportsplatsen and suddenly when it was time to decide whether I should continue being out for the evening or to go home, I started getting a fever and headache. That's the miracle though! I headed straight home and went to bed pretty early allowing me a full night of sleep... something that I haven't had in weeks -- maybe over a month.

Moments before falling asleep I just had to thank God because he knows that one of the only ways to get me into bed early is to give me a fever and make me want to curl up and not be awake for a while. Otherwise, I'm up until 3am or so every night. This was Friday night.

Then I woke up on Saturday so refreshed that I was able to spend the fourteen hours I needed that day to work on my paper. I spent the whole day at home writing, with breaks for lunch and dinner (which was spaghetti both times). I've never had such a productive day for writing and I didn't even need coffee. God works in the strangest way sometimes. He knows I want some time for quietness and reflection before I head on another exciting trip abroad.

Now, I would like to share some pictures from Stockholm, but I've taken so many pictures that I want to ask myself... if i could only post -- well lets say 11 pictures, which ones would I choose and why? Here are the ten+one pictures at I chose. This first picture is of two of the friends I made while in Stockholm. That's Yuri on the left and Chrysti on the right. It was so amazing because they were both in my room at the hostel and Yuri is Italian and studied linguistics and Chrysti goes to UW in Seattle and plays guitar in a band. It's like meeting exactly the people I was meant to meet. Anyways, this picture is from us on our walking path to Skansen.















This is a picture of a model of the ship on display at Vasa Museet. Apparently the ship sunk in water that was so salty everything on the ship was really well preserved. It's an amazing sight. You can see the real ship just behind there.














This is a picture of some guards at the royal castle all getting into a charter bus. I thought this was silly because I was expecting some fancy changing of the guards ceremony, but they looked like they were just going on a field trip. Boo.














Here's a picture of a moose or whatever this animal is... it was one we saw in Skansen.














Here's a picture of an alleyway in Gamla Stan. I just thought it was nice and quite picturesque. That's all.


















Here's a picture of a mural that was painted on a window. It was pretty and it's super nice with the actual tree you can see through the window.


















Here's a picture from the Mando Diao concert I went to in Stockholm at Annexet (Globen). They were really great live.














I just thought this was a little fun and silly so here it is. I picture of the Riksdag building, half in construction.














Here's a model of Gamla Uppsala.














Here's a picture from in the churchyard's graveyard with the old grave mounds in the background. Old meets new.














And finally a picture from out in the fields in Gamla Uppsala.


















I would share more pictures, but I've already posted the ten+one pictures I allotted myself. There are more nice pictures, but you'll have to check out my flickr photo stream to see those. I've put up a link on my link list there to the right.

Okay, well that's it for now. I can't afford more time to sit and blog just nu.

Ha det.

No comments: